Cumbernauld Cumbernauld is interpreted from the Gaelic as "The meeting of the waters" - being a reference to the Luggie Water and the Red Burn which are close to the village.

Cumbernauld Village has a pre-mediaeval history, as of course does the Cumbernauld Estate of which the Cumbernauld House was the base (prior to this Cumbernauld Castle). The Estate was comprised of a large natural forest in which King James IV hunted for deer and the "wild" white cattle by invitation of its owners the Flemings, later given the hereditary title Earls of Wigtown. By 17th-18th century most of the Estate comprised tenanted farm holdings including Upper and Lower Abronhill, Carbrain, Kildrum, Hole, Tannoch, Seafar, Ravenswood, Eastfield, Palacerigg Greenfaulds, Forrest farms, Balloch and several more.

The original settlement is believed to have been started in Roman times under the shelter of the Antonine Wall. By the early Middle Ages the settlement must have grown to a respectable size to warrant the Comyns placing their chapel here. With the Flemings' decision to build their castle and make Cumbernauld their principal seat, the place would assume its present form which is the classical layout of a medieval Scottish town, with its principal street running from castle to church.
Most of these were still working farms when the Cumbernauld Development
Corporation acquired the Estate to build the New Town. Only Mid Forrest farm
is still a working farm today, the rest apart from the outlying Palacerigg
have been subsumed in the development.

The town had two other distinct phases in its history. In the original 17th century village the main industry was hand loom weaving. With the onset of the Industrial revolution and because of its proximity to the Forth and Clyde canal the local economy changed. Mining and quarrying sprang up to take advantage of the rich minerals which were to be found in the area, coupled with cheap accessible transportation via the canal. When the mining industry in Scotland declined, Cumbernauld and the surrounding villages were given a boost with the creation of the New Town of Cumbernauld in 1956. High Tech industries flocked to the area and it now enjoys one of the healthiest, local economies in Scotland. Cumbernauld Old Parish Church
This ancient building owes its foundations to the early chapel built by the Comyns at the end of the twelfth century. A brief notice appears on record in 1500 when Cumbernauld like other places in Britain at this time, was badly hit by the notorious Black Death. The Village population was so decimated that the surviving inhabitants had great difficulty in carrying the bodies for burial to the parish cemetery at the old kirk of St Ninian's in Kirkintilloch, so a successful application was made to the See of Glasgow for permission to open a new burial ground "at the Chapel in Cumbernauld". In the churchyard, the oldest visible headstone is dated 1654. n the churchyard, the oldest visible headstone is dated 1654.
Cumbernauld House is an excellent example of the neo-classical type of architecture, practised by the fashionable architect, William Adam, in the first half of the eighteenth century.

Historical Timeline
Cumbernauld Castle, The Fleming Castle
Romans, Normans, Comyns, Bruce, the Douglases,James IV, Mary Stewart, Montrose, Cromwell, Covenanters, Jacobites, Robert Adam, 19th century soldiers and seamen - all are connected with Cumbernauld's square mile of history, centred around Cumbernauld House and Park.
The Antonine Wall, of 114, with forts at Castlecary and Westerwood.
The Comyn motte, 400 yards from Cumbernauld House
"Let the deed shaw" - the Fleming motto - a reference to the tradition of Fleming severing the head of the murdered Commyn in 1306. Bruce granted him Comyn's lands in Cumbernauld as a reward.
The building of the stone Cumbernauld Castle after 1371.
Fleming of Cumbernauld murdered by the Douglases in 1406 for exposing their plan to kidnap the child King James I and send him captive to England.
Fleming of Cumbernauld beheaded at court in Edinburgh in 1440 along with the two Douglas heirs after the infamous 'Black Dinner' of James II.
Castle Cary built after 1473 from reparations paid by the Flemings for attacking their Livingstone neighbours.
James IV wooed Margaret Drummond at Cumbernauld Castle, where Margaret's sister was married to Lord Fleming. The Drummonds sisters lie buried in Dunblane Cathedral following their poisoning by a government determined to marry an unwilling King James to the sister of Henry VIII of England, Margaret Tudor. The murders made James IV a frequent visitor to Cumbernauld, Margaret Tudor accompanying him on one occasion.
Mary Fleming was one of the four "Queen's Maries". Mary and her brother, Lord Fleming of Cumbernauld went into exile with Mary, Queen of Scots in France. In 1558, Lord Fleming was one of the Scottish Commissioners arranging the Queen's marriage to the Dauphin of France. Fleming and other commissioners died mysteriously on the voyage home, poison being suspected.
In 1561 Queen Mary visited Cumbernauld Castle. Tragically, the great hall collapsed during the visit. Mary spent much time in Cumbernauld village comforting relatives of those servants killed in the accident. She also visited Castle Cary, where one of her other "Maries", Mary Livingston, was staying. The two young women planted a pair of yew trees which still grow in the House grounds to this day.